Wednesday, March 19, 2008

It's a SAD SAD time....


If anyone knows me even a little bit, knows that every time I talk about El Paso, Chicos Tacos is usually mentioned. I am in deep sadness knowing that a national historical monument is be bulldozed. It will be greatly and dearly missed. I don't know if I will ever survive a visit to El Paso knowing that this great monument will be gone. I know there are other locations but it is not the same. Chicos on McRae Blvd. was the best place ever, I have memories of Grandpa Mac taking us there and challenging all the grandsons to drink the green salsa, eating there for lunch from Eastwood, going there first thing when anyone came in from out of town, after football game rendezvous, late night snacks and having it brought across country by a loved one. My favorite is a single order with extra cheese and a side of fries with a root beer.... YUMMMM!!!!! Just for those of you who aren't familiar with Chico's its a great little dive in El Paso that serves you rolled tacos in watered down tomato-chili sauce topped with shredded cheese. Their fries were crinkly ones, my favorite. There's just no place like it. The atmosphere was less to be desired, greasy tables, sticky floors, bathrooms you would NEVER use, and most of all you never looked over the counter into the kitchen, and nothing better than when they would serve you your drink by holding it by the rim of the cup, with their bare hands. But really it is the best place EVER! I will miss it and visits to El Paso will never be the same.

4 comments:

Mindi said...

*tear*...sad sad day!! They should make a movie about it. I'll miss it tons!!

okiedokiegma said...

It was the best! And yes, you never wanted to look too far into the kitchen for fear of really knowing what was behind the scenes. It was truly an original.

okiedokiegma said...

It was the best! And yes, you never wanted to look too far into the kitchen for fear of really knowing what was behind the scenes. It was truly an original.

Anonymous said...

I hated to break that news to all my kids...knew it would bring great sadness. That place held a lot of memories for all of us. If and when we go back there, it will not be the same. I imagine you would all go to the one on Rojas to get some,though! Probably wouldn't taste the same....it's much cleaner. :o)